Wireless CarPlay Smartbox for BMWs and Minis
Wireless CarPlay Smartbox is a multimedia bridge connecting your phone to your BMW or MINI either wirelessly or via cable.
It is fully integrated with the native iDrive display and controller and feels and works like OEM BMW Apple CarPlay.
With its user-friendly and instinctive interface, this CarPlay retrofit makes it easy to use many of your iPhone’s apps in full screen on your BMW’s or MINI’s native dashboard screen
(The screen is NOT included in the CarPlay retrofit kit).
- Compatible with 95% of BMWs produced since 2008
- Wireless Apple CarPlay
- USB multimedia and charging port
- Full-Screen Mode
- Easy control with iDrive
- Wireless Android Auto support
- Supports Front and Rear View Camera retrofits
- High-quality audio with an equalizer
- Works with your existing iDrive screen (screen pictures for illustrative purposes only)
Having a host of apps at hand you can choose whether you want to listen to your music or podcasts through Spotify, YouTube Music, or others, safely stay in touch with your family via
WhatsApp or Messages, and always find the quickest routes via Google Maps or Waze without catching a ticket.
Thanks to the additional BMW Android Auto support our upgrade also allows you to access all of your favorite smartphone apps as well. To control and switch between apps you can use the
iDrive controller, Siri, or steering wheel buttons (only in compatible vehicles).
Smartbimmer’s CarPlay Smartbox upgrade is compatible with 95% of E-Series, F-Series, G-Series BMWs, and MINIs with newer or older iDrive generations (e.g. CIC, ENTRY, ENTRYNAV, ENAVEVO,
CHAMP2, NBT, NBT EVO ID4, NBT EVO ID5/ID6, etc.).
Access Phone Apps
This BMW CarPlay upgrade gives you direct access to many of your iPhone’s navigation, messaging, and music apps, as well as other driver-focused apps in the categories of parking, EV
charging, or quick food ordering.
Not sure what’s included? Take a look at some of the most popular CarPlay apps for your BMW.
Smartbimmerh’s CarPlay for BMWs and MINIs lets you connect your iPhone wirelessly.
It only takes one wireless pairing of your iPhone and CarPlay Smartbox to help the MMI recognize your iPhone each time you get in your car and connect wirelessly, without you even having to
remove your phone from your pocket or bag.
When using BMW CarPlay you’ll be able to answer calls just like with a Bluetooth hands-free connection.
If you’d rather connect your iPhone with the use of cable, you are also free to do so. CarPlay Smartbox supports both wired and wireless phone connections.
As for the supported iPhones, it’s compatible with devices running iOS up to version 16.
USB Multimedia & Charging Port
Our BMW CarPlay solution comes with a USB port. It lets you charge your iPhone on longer drives, or you can use it for playing videos and music on your iDrive Screen from a USB thumb drive.
The retrofit box’s USB port can also be used in the future for software updates. So, if you won’t be using it for charging or multimedia playback – make sure to place it in an accessible location.
BMW CarPlay Full Screen Mode
Wireless CarPlay Smartbox lets you use all your favorite CarPlay-compatible iPhone apps on the original BMW display in full-screen.
The retrofit’s 1280×480 resolution for big screens and 800×480 resolution for small screens look great on all screen sizes.
Note that in MINIs with a rounded screen, a small part of each corner of the CarPlay interface will be obscured when using full-screen mode.
The Full-Screen mode also includes a Screen Mirroring option, which lets you cast the screen of your mobile device onto the BMW’s or MINI’s display, and stream audio through the car speakers.
This function is especially convenient if you want to stream a video from YouTube.
iPhones mirror wirelessly, while Android phones require a cable connection.
Please note that mirroring of some apps or content using the Screen Mirroring feature may be blocked due to the copyright holder’s DRM.
Smartbimmer is not responsible for the continued compatibility of any third-party apps with CarPlay Smartbox.
Easy Control With iDrive
To navigate the BMW CarPlay apps, you can use your factory microphone for Siri voice commands or the iDrive controller. In some vehicles, there’s also the option of control with steering wheel buttons, but keep in mind that it is dependent on your head unit version. Decode your VIN to see whether it will be enabled for your car.
CarPlay Smartbox isn’t compatible with touch function, however safely controlling the device with the steering wheel buttons, iDrive controller and Siri/Google Assistant still offers plenty of conveniences.
Wireless Android Auto Support
The kit contains a Multimedia Interface (MMI) — a module that also adds Android Auto to your BMW or MINI. So if you have family members or friends with Android smartphones, connecting their devices will be a breeze too!
To enjoy BMW Android Auto wirelessly your phone has to support the wireless Android Auto. If it doesn’t, you’ll still be able to use Android Auto via USB.
Integration With Front & Rear View Cameras
The Wireless CarPlay module makes it easy to add front and reversing cameras to your order for a much lower price. The front view camera can easily be activated by holding the Option button for 2 seconds.
To exit camera mode, just press Back. It can also be set up to appear automatically for up to 20 seconds when shifting from Reverse to Drive.
High-quality Audio With An Equalizer
The audio output circuit in our BMW CarPlay upgrade has been specifically selected to squeeze all the quality we can out of the iDrive AUX input, providing great audio quality for music, streaming, and calls.
If your vehicle is not equipped with an AUX input in Media/Radio, we’ll have to code it. Enter your VIN for more details.
The Wireless CarPlay retrofit kit also has a built-in 8-band equalizer which allows adjusting the sound to your liking. Whether you like more bass and less treble, or the other way around, you can easily set it up in the menu.
It is a great feature especially if you don’t have a multi-band Equalizer in your BMW iDrive system or MINI Connected.
MINI Cooper CarPlay
MINI owners – we didn’t forget about you! If your car lacks the original Apple CarPlay and Android Auto functions, our MINI Cooper Wireless CarPlay upgrade will add these functionalities
even to your 2011+ make. Enter your VIN to check compatibility.
Wireless CarPlay Smartbox software
Here are the numbers of the latest Wireless CarPlay Smartbox software versions for specific head units:
- CIC iDrive system – v188.8.131.52.mmi.c
- NBT iDrive system – v184.108.40.206.mmi.b
- NBT Evo iDrive system – v220.127.116.11.mmi.e
- Black MMI – v18.104.22.168.mmi.b
Before doing the update make sure which head unit is featured in your vehicle. Updating the incorrect version may cause system errors.
Wireless CarPlay Smartbox for BMW and MINI Cooper is customized for each model individually due to the different configurations of every vehicle.
However, no matter your car specs, our BMW CarPlay upgrade is always fully plug & play, doesn’t require any permanent modifications to your vehicle, and thus is completely lease-
friendly and doesn’t void your warranty.
Depending on your vehicle the installation of the kit may take from 2h up to 4h.
You can also choose to install the upgrade by yourself or hand it to professional installers.
Our precise PDF instructions, videos, and dedicated technical support will make it easy for you to follow the process if you decide to DIY. The PDF installation instructions appear in the
personal account within 72 hours after the purchased product is shipped.
If you wish to read the full Wireless CarPlay Smartbox description and know more about Wireless CarPlay compatibility for your exact vehicle, type in your VIN.
- BMW 1 Series: Convertible E88 (2006-2013), Coupé E82 (2006-2013), 3-door Hatchback E81 (2006-2011), 5-door Hatchback E87 (2006-2011), 5-door Hatchback F20 (2010-2018), 3 – door Hatchback F21(2010 – 2018), Sedan F52 (2015-2018);
- BMW 2 Series: Active Tourer F45 (2013-2018), Convertible F23 (2014-2018), Coupe F22 (2012-2018), Coupe M2 F87 (2014-2018), Grand Tourer F46 (2014-2018), Gran Coupe F44 (2019-2021);
- BMW 3 Series: Coupe E92 (2005-2013), Convertible E93(2005 – 2013), Gran Turismo F34(2012 – 2018), Sedan E90(2004 – 2012), Sedan F30(2011 – 2018), Sedan F35(2011 – 2018), Sedan M3 F80(2012 – 2018), Touring E91 (2004 – 2012), Touring F31(2011 – 2018), Sedan G20 (2018-);
- BMW 4 Series: Convertible F33(2013 – 2017), Coupé F32 (2012-2018), Gran Coupé F36 (2013-2018), M4 Convertible F83 (2013-2018), M4 Coupé F82 (2013-2018);
- BMW 5 Series: Gran Turismo F07 (2008-2017), Sedan E60 (2001-2010), Sedan F10 (2009-2016), Sedan G30 (2015-2018), Sedan M5 F90 (2016-2018), Touring G31 (2016-2018), Wagon E61 (2002-2010), Wagon F11 (2009-2017);
- BMW 6 Series: Convertible E64 (2002-2010), Convertible F12 (2009-2018), Coupé E63 (2002-2010), Coupé F13 (2010-2015), Gran Coupé F06 (2011-2018), Gran Turismo G32 (2016-2018), Gran Turismo G32 (2017-2020);
- BMW 7 Series: Hybrid F04 (2008-2012), Long Sedan E66 (2000-2008), Long Sedan E67 (2002-2008), Long Sedan F02 (2007-2015), Long Sedan F03 (2008-2012), Long Sedan G12 (2014-2018), Sedan E65 (2000-2008), Sedan F01 (2007-2015), Sedan G11 (2014-2018), Sedan G12 (2015-2020);
- BMW X1 Series: Crossover E84 (2008-2015), Crossover F48 (2014-2018), Crossover F49 (2014-2018);
- BMW X2 Series: SUV F39 (2016-2018);
- BMW X3 Series: SUV E83 (2003-2010), SUV F25 (2009-2017), SUV G01 (2016-2018);
- BMW X4 Series: Crossover F26 (2013-2018), SUV G02 (2019-2020);
- BMW X5 Series: SUV E70 (2006-2013), SUV F15 (2012-2018), SUV F85 (2013-2018), SUV G05 (2019-2020);
- BMW X6 Series: Crossover E71 (2007-2014), Crossover F16 (2013-2018), Crossover M F86 (2013-2018), Hybrid E72 (2008-2011), SUV G06 (2020-2020);
- BMW X7 Series: SUV G07 (2019-2020);
- BMW Z4 Series: Roadster E89 (2008-2016), Roadster G29 (2019-2020);
- Mini: Clubman F54, F55, F56, Convertible F57, Countryman F60, Paceman R60, Paceman R61;
- BMW 8 Series: Convertible G14 (2019-2020), Coupe G15 (2019-2020).