BMW Android Auto Activation
BMW Android Auto activation is the perfect match for anybody on Android.
Bring everything that’s great about your phone and the Google ecosystem into your BMW — whether that’s using your favorite Android apps on your iDrive display or tapping into the power of Google Assistant.
With instant access to countless apps you can choose whether to listen to your favorite music on Spotify or YouTube music chat with your friends through WhatsApp or get a helping hand from Google Maps or Waze when navigating through the city.
Just wirelessly pair your Android device and you’re ready to go!
It couldn’t be easier to switch between apps — just use your iDrive’s built-in controls including the iDrive controller steering wheel buttons and touchscreen (if your BMW features one).
Or if you prefer use your voice to call Google Assistant.
Best of all it takes no more than 30 minutes of your time to unlock BMW Android Auto in a simple remote coding procedure.
There’s no need to take your cart apart or do any advanced coding and it’s all done from the comfort of your own home.
Smartbimmer’s BMW Android Auto activation is compatible with BMWs with the MGU iDrive 7.0 head unit and BMW Live Professional option. Identify your VIN to check compatibility.
- Lets you safely use Android apps on your native iDrive screen
- Uses your car’s factory microphone to let Google Assistant hear voice commands
- Connects your Android device wireless to the BMW iDrive system
- Provides audio playback through your BMW’s stereo system
- Makes it easy to switch between Android Auto and your car’s standard interface using the iDrive controller
Android Auto is only available in BMWs with iDrive software from March 2020 or later. For vehicles with older software a software update is required. Learn more about updating your BMW software.
Access Phone Apps
OEM BMW Android Auto lets you access a wide range of your phone’s navigation messaging and music apps right on your dashboard display. On top of that, you’ll find other driver-focused apps to help you find a parking space an EV charging point, and more.
Android Auto Navigation Apps
Enjoy maps that are always accurate without having to perform period updates or spending any extra money. BMW Android Auto navigation apps include Google Maps Waze TomTom and more.
Wherever you are in the world you’re sure to find the safest and fastest route to your destination and like on your mobile device, your maps will update automatically whenever the road plan changes.
Android Auto Parking & EV Apps
BMW Android Auto isn’t only good for finding your way around the city — when it’s time to park up use SpotHero or EasyPark to find a free space. EV drivers can also use apps like ChargePoint to find a nearby charging station.
Android Auto Music Apps
If you can’t go anywhere without your favorite Spotify or YouTube Music playlists or prefer HiFi-quality tracks from Tidal BMW Android Auto will let you bring all your music from your phone to your car.
For those who prefer the spoken word, you’re also free to listen to podcasts and audiobooks from a host of apps including Stitcher and Audible.
Android Auto Communication Apps
As we all know to text while driving is a no-go — especially at high speed. But thanks to Google Assistant with BMW Android Auto you won’t need to take your eyes off the road or hands off the wheel to stay in touch. Whether you’re sending an SMS or using WhatsApp or another messaging app Android Auto couldn’t be safer.
Android Auto apps may appear on your BMW screen but the apps themselves are still being run by your Android device. That means Android Auto isn’t a standalone system; it requires a constant connection to your phone.
Fortunately, you won’t need any cables cluttering up your interior. Pair your car and phone via Bluetooth and connect to Android Auto over WiFi.
BMW Android Auto supports devices running current versions of Android; all Google or Samsung devices with Android 10.0 or later select Samsung devices with Android 9.0 and phones from other brands with at least Android 11.0.
Your device will also need to support 5GHz which nearly all modern phones do.
Please check if your phone supports wireless Android Auto before ordering this activation. Contact your device manufacturer for details.
Easy Control With iDrive
Navigating around the Android Auto menu will be second nature because it’s no different from the OEM BMW iDrive system. Use the iDrive controller to switch between iDrive and Android Auto interfaces and navigate apps when in Android Auto mode.
BMWs fitted with a touchscreen allow tapping apps to open just like on your Android device. When you want to keep your hands on the wheel you can use the steering wheel buttons too.
Voice control is also sure to come in handy when you just want to focus on the road. Press the voice-control button on the steering wheel to call up Google Assistant. Ask for directions dictate messages turn on a playlist and more.
Enjoy Android Auto In Any Location
The availability of factory-activated BMW Android Auto may depend on your location but Smartbimmer can activate it for you wherever you are!
In some vehicles, you may be required to update your iDrive software before it will be possible to activate Android Auto.
Enter your VIN above for full information and requirements for your BMW.
BMW Android Auto is activated through a remote cable coding session. It is a very simple process that takes no more than 30 minutes.
After you complete your order we send you a coding cable (if you don’t have one and add it in the top Add option section).
Once you receive it you will be able to schedule a coding session for the time that suits you best. During the session, just plug in the cable and follow the instructions from our technician and Android Auto will be unlocked.
To prepare for your coding session you will need a laptop running Microsoft Windows and a WiFi internet network that you can connect to in your car.
A Mac computer will not work if you also require a software update. The coding cable must be plugged into your laptop’s Ethernet port (if you don’t have one you can use an adapter).
Watch the video to understand the cable activation process better.
The Smartbimmer package includes everything necessary for unlocking Android Auto:
- Remote activation service
- Coding interface (if you add it to your order in the top Add option section)
Will my coding still work if I update my iDrive system?
If your dealer upgrades or resets your iDrive system the above coding (and any other custom modifications) will most likely be deleted. Cable coding options can be recorded by us for a fee of $75 irrespective of the number of features.
A cable coding session can be conducted on all modern PCs and many Mac computers running Windows or MacOS. Find out the requirements for the cable coding session.
- BMW 1 Series: Convertible E88 (2006-2013) Coupé E82 (2006-2013) 3-door Hatchback E81 (2006-2011) 5-door Hatchback E87 (2006-2011) 5-door Hatchback F20 (2010-2018) 3 – door Hatchback F21(2010 – 2018) Sedan F52 (2015-2018);
- BMW 2 Series: Active Tourer F45 (2013-2018)” Convertible F23 (2014-2018) Coupe F22 (2012-2018) Coupe M2 F87 (2014-2018) Grand Tourer F46 (2014-2018) Gran Coupe F44 (2019-2021);
- BMW 3 Series: Coupe E92 (2005-2013) Convertible E93(2005 – 2013) Gran Turismo F34(2012 – 2018) Sedan E90(2004 – 2012) Sedan F30(2011 – 2018) Sedan F35(2011 – 2018) Sedan M3 F80(2012 – 2018) Touring E91 (2004 – 2012) Touring F31(2011 – 2018)
- BMW 4 Series: Convertible F33(2013 – 2017) Coupé F32 (2012-2018) Gran Coupé F36 (2013-2018) M4 Convertible F83 (2013-2018) M4 Coupé F82 (2013-2018);
- BMW 5 Series: Gran Turismo F07 (2008-2017) Sedan E60 (2001-2010) Sedan F10 (2009-2016) Sedan G30 (2015-2018) Sedan M5 F90 (2016-2018) Touring G31 (2016-2018) Wagon E61 (2002-2010) Wagon F11 (2009-2017);
- BMW 6 Series: Convertible E64 (2002-2010) Convertible F12 (2009-2018) Coupé E63 (2002-2010) Coupé F13 (2010-2015) Gran Coupé F06 (2011-2018) Gran Turismo G32 (2016-2018) Gran Turismo G32 (2017-2020);
- BMW 7 Series: Hybrid F04 (2008-2012) Long Sedan E66 (2000-2008) Long Sedan E67 (2002-2008) Long Sedan F02 (2007-2015) Long Sedan F03 (2008-2012) Long Sedan G12 (2014-2018) Sedan E65 (2000-2008) Sedan F01 (2007-2015) Sedan G11 (2014-2018)
- BMW 8 Series: Convertible G14 (2019-2020) Coupe G15 (2019-2020);
- BMW i3 Series: I01 (2013-2021); BMW X1 Series: Crossover E84 (2008-2015)” Crossover F48 (2014-2018) Crossover F49 (2014-2018);
- BMW X2 Series: SUV F39 (2016-2018);
- BMW X3 Series: SUV E83 (2003-2010) SUV F25 (2009-2017) SUV G01 (2016-2018);
- BMW X4 Series: Crossover F26 (2013-2018) SUV G02 (2019-2020);
- BMW X5 Series: SUV E70 (2006-2013) SUV F15 (2012-2018) SUV F85 (2013-2018) SUV G05 (2019-2020);
- BMW X6 Series: Crossover E71 (2007-2014) Crossover F16 (2013-2018) Crossover M F86 (2013-2018) Hybrid E72 (2008-2011) SUV G06 (2020-2020);
- BMW X7 Series: SUV G07 (2019-2020);
- BMW Z4 Series: Roadster E89 (2008-2016) Roadster G29 (2019-2020);
- Mini: Clubman F54 F55 F56 Convertible F57 Countryman F60 Paceman R60 Paceman R61;