Android Auto Smartbox Retrofit for BMWs and MINIs
Android Auto Smartbox is a multimedia interface bridging your phone with your BMW/MINI via cable or wirelessly. It fully integrates with your factory iDrive screen and control knob and looks and works just like OEM Android Auto.
In order to use Android Auto for BMW or MINI download the free Android Auto app from Google Play and enjoy plenty of your smartphone’s apps in full screen on your BMW’s or MINI’s native dashboard display (The screen is NOT included in the Android Auto Smartbox kit).
Android Auto Smartbox bridging the phone with BMW/MINI
With many apps at hand, you can pick whether you prefer listening to your music or podcasts via Spotify YouTube Music or others safely stay in touch with your family through WhatsApp or Messages and always go the quickest routes thanks to Google Maps or Waze without catching a ticket.
The kit for Android Auto-compatible cars contains a Multimedia Interface (MMI) that also adds Apple CarPlay functionality to your BMW or MINI allowing you to use your iPhone right from your BMW iDrive. For maximum convenience control and navigate between apps with your vehicle’s built-in controls or with your voice thanks to Google Assistant at just a press of a button.
Smartbimmerh’s Android Auto Smartbox upgrade is compatible with 95% of BMWs produced after 2008 including E-Series F-Series G-Series BMWs and MINIs with newer or older iDrive generations (e.g. CIC ENTRY ENTRYNAV ENAVEVO CHAMP2
Access Phone Apps
The Android Auto retrofit for BMWs and MINIs gives you direct access to a host of your smartphone’s driver-focused apps including navigation messaging music podcasts and others.
Look up the entire BMW Android Auto apps list on the official Android Auto website.
Android Auto Navigation Apps
Since you want your maps to be kept accurate to the smallest detail there’s no easier way to do it than with apps too which being up-to-date is second nature. Android’s Auto Google Maps Waze TomTom Spot Hero MapFactor and many others will show you the fastest and safest routes wherever you are in the world. At times with no internet connection!
Android Auto Parking & EV Apps
Once you reach your destination dedicated apps make it easier to find a convenient spot to park or charge your electric vehicle. With solutions such as EasyPark or RingGo, you’ll quickly reach the closest available carpark when you’re in a pinch. And using apps like PlugShare or ChargePoint always know where to head to charge up and at what cost.
Android Auto Music Apps
If you’re strongly attached to your favorite Spotify or YouTube music playlists or an audiophile who respects nothing less than high-quality HiFi tunes from Tidal Android Auto will let you carry over what used to be a smartphone convenience into your BMW. And if music isn’t enough for longer tours a bunch of good podcasts from Audible or Stitcher may help you pass the time.
Android Auto Communication Apps
Undeniably you’re on the slippery slope when texting on the highway but thanks to Android Auto’s built-in Google Assistant support you can use your favorite messaging apps such as WhatsApp Messenger or WeChat to send and receive messages without taking your eyes off the road… Or even lead conference calls on apps such as ICQ if you’re one of those high-flying executive types.
Simply connect your Android phone either wirelessly or with the use of a USB cable to our Smartbox and start using Android Auto while charging your phone. To enjoy Android Auto wirelessly your phone has to support wireless Android Auto. If it doesn’t you’ll still be able to use Android Auto via USB – just make sure you have the Android Auto app installed.
It’s possible to use Android Auto wirelessly with any of the following phones:
- Pixel or Pixel XL | Android 8.0 or higher
- Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL | Android 8.0 or higher
- Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL | Android 8.0 or higher
- Pixel 4 or Pixel 4 XL | Android 10.0 or higher
- Nexus 5X or 6P | Android 8.0 or higher
- Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8+ | Android 9.0 or higher
- Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9+ | Android 9.0 or higher
- Samsung Galaxy S10 or S10+ | Android 9.0 or higher
- Samsung Note 8″ Note 9 and Note 10 | Android 9.0 or higher
- Other phones | Android 11.0 or higher
Our Android Auto Smartbox retrofit is compatible with all Android smartphones that support Android Auto app. According to Android Auto that would be a smartphone running Android 5.0 (Lollipop) and up with a data plan. For best performance, the Android Auto team recommends Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) and up. You can check your phone’s software version by looking at the About Device section under Settings.
If the Android Auto app isn’t available in your Google Play account due to regional limitations you can download the .apk file from an alternative source such as Android Auto APKs which is the main website containing all Android Auto app versions. Check if the Android Auto app is available for your region here.
USB Multimedia & Charging Port
Our BMW Android Auto upgrade comes with a USB port. It lets you charge your smartphone on longer drives or can also be used for playing videos and music files on your BMW iDrive screen from a USB thumb drive. What’s more, it’s important for future software updates. So if you won’t be using it to enjoy multimedia – make sure to place it in an accessible location.
BMW Android Auto Full Screen Mode
Android Auto Smartbox lets you use your favorite Android Auto apps on the original BMW display in full-screen. The retrofit’s 1280×480 resolution for big screens and 800×480 resolution for small screens look just great on all screen sizes.
Note that in MINIs with a rounded screen, a small part of each corner of the Android Auto interface will be obscured when using full-screen mode.
The Full-Screen mode also includes a Screen Mirroring option which lets you cast the screen of your mobile device onto the BMW’s or MINI’s display and stream audio through the car speakers with the help of the Android Autolink app. This function is especially convenient if you want to stream a video from YouTube.
Please note that mirroring of some apps or content using the Screen Mirroring feature may be blocked due to the copyright holder’s DRM. Smartbimmerh is not responsible for the continued compatibility of any third-party apps with Android Auto Smartbox.
Easy Control With iDrive
To navigate the Android Auto apps you can use your iDrive controller or factory microphone for Google Assistant. In some vehicles, there’s also the option of control with steering wheel buttons but keep in mind that it is dependent on your head unit version. Decode your VIN to see whether it will be enabled for your car.
The Android Auto system also requires Bluetooth or Voice Control features to allow you hand-free control.
Android Auto Smartbox isn’t compatible with touch function however safely controlling the device with the steering wheel buttons iDrive controller and Siri/Google Assistant still offer plenty of conveniences.
Wireless CarPlay Support
The kit contains a Multimedia Interface (MMI) — a module that also adds CarPlay to your BMW or MINI. So if you have family members or friends with iPhones connecting their devices will be a breeze too! Following their preferences, they’ll be able to connect their iPhones with the use of USB or wirelessly.
Integration With Front & Rear View Cameras
The Android Auto module makes it easy to add front and reversing cameras to your order for a much lower price. The front view camera can be activated by holding the Option button for 2 seconds. To exit the camera mode just press Back. It can also be set up to appear automatically on the screen for up to 20 seconds when the gear is shifted from Reverse to Drive.
High-quality Audio With An Equalizer
The audio output circuit in the Android Auto Smartbox has been specifically selected to squeeze all the quality we can out of the iDrive AUX input providing great audio quality for music and streaming. If your vehicle is not equipped with an AUX input in Media/Radio we’ll have to code it. Enter your VIN for more details.
The MMI also features a built-in 8-band equalizer allowing you to adjust the sound to your musical preferences. Whether you like more bass and less treble or the other way around you can easily set it up in the MMI menu. It is a great feature especially if you don’t have a multi-band Equalizer in your BMW iDrive system or MINI Connected.
MINI Cooper AndroidAuto
If you own a MINI that lacks the original Android Auto and Apple CarPlay features our MINI Cooper Android Auto upgrade will equip even your 2011 (or newer) model with these functions. Enter your VIN to check compatibility.
AndroidAuto Smartbox software
Here are the numbers of the latest Android Auto Smartbox software versions for specific head units:
- CIC iDrive system – v22.214.171.124.mmi.c
- NBT iDrive system – v126.96.36.199.mmi.b
- NBT Evo iDrive system – v188.8.131.52.mmi.e
- Black MMI – v184.108.40.206.mmi.b
Before doing the update make sure which head unit is featured in your vehicle. Updating the incorrect version may cause system errors.
Easy Plug & Play Installation
Android Auto Smartbox retrofit for BMW and MINI Cooper is customized for each model individually due to the different configurations of every vehicle. However no matter your car specifications our BMW Android Auto upgrade is always fully plug & play and doesn’t require any permanent modifications to your vehicle and thus is completely lease-friendly. It shouldn’t void your warranty either – yet this is contingent on local regulations and warranty clauses.
Depending on your vehicle specifications the installation of the kit may take from 2h up to 4h. It is 100% reversible.
You can also choose to install the upgrade by yourself or hand it to professional installers.
Our precise PDF instructions videos and dedicated tech support will make it easy for you to follow the process if you decide to DIY. The PDF installation instructions appear in the personal account within 72 hours after the purchased product is shipped.
If you wish to read the full Android Auto Smartbox description and know more about Android Auto compatibility for your exact vehicle type in your VIN.
In case you decide to proceed with a DIY process remember – you won’t be left alone in this! Our technical support team is always ready to help you out with any issue you might have. Just email our experts at email@example.com and expect a reply within 24h.
- BMW 1 Series: Convertible E88 (2006-2013) Coupé E82 (2006-2013) 3-door Hatchback E81 (2006-2011) 5-door Hatchback E87 (2006-2011) 5-door Hatchback F20 (2010-2018) 3 – door Hatchback F21(2010 – 2018) Sedan F52 (2015-2018);
- BMW 2 Series: Active Tourer F45 (2013-2018) Convertible F23 (2014-2018) Coupe F22 (2012-2018) Coupe M2 F87 (2014-2018) Grand Tourer F46 (2014-2018) Gran Coupe F44 (2019-2021);
- BMW 3 Series: Coupe E92 (2005-2013) Convertible E93(2005 – 2013) Gran Turismo F34(2012 – 2018) Sedan E90(2004 – 2012) Sedan F30(2011 – 2018) Sedan F35(2011 – 2018) Sedan M3 F80(2012 – 2018) Touring E91 (2004 – 2012) Touring F31(2011 – 2018)
- BMW 4 Series: Convertible F33(2013 – 2017) Coupé F32 (2012-2018) Gran Coupé F36 (2013-2018) M4 Convertible F83 (2013-2018) M4 Coupé F82 (2013-2018);
- BMW 5 Series: Gran Turismo F07 (2008-2017) Sedan E60 (2001-2010) Sedan F10 (2009-2016) Sedan G30 (2015-2018) Sedan M5 F90 (2016-2018) Touring G31 (2016-2018) Wagon E61 (2002-2010) Wagon F11 (2009-2017);
- BMW 6 Series: Convertible E64 (2002-2010) Convertible F12 (2009-2018) Coupé E63 (2002-2010) Coupé F13 (2010-2015) Gran Coupé F06 (2011-2018) Gran Turismo G32 (2016-2018) Gran Turismo G32 (2017-2020);
- BMW 7 Series: Hybrid F04 (2008-2012) Long Sedan E66 (2000-2008) Long Sedan E67 (2002-2008) Long Sedan F02 (2007-2015) Long Sedan F03 (2008-2012) Long Sedan G12 (2014-2018) Sedan E65 (2000-2008) Sedan F01 (2007-2015) Sedan G11 (2014-2018);
- BMW 8 Series: Convertible G14 (2019-2020) Coupe G15 (2019-2020);
- BMW X1 Series: Crossover E84 (2008-2015) Crossover F48 (2014-2018) Crossover F49 (2014-2018);
- BMW X2 Series: SUV F39 (2016-2018);
- BMW X3 Series: SUV E83 (2003-2010) SUV F25 (2009-2017) SUV G01 (2016-2018);
- BMW X4 Series: Crossover F26 (2013-2018) SUV G02 (2019-2020);
- BMW X5 Series: SUV E70 (2006-2013) SUV F15 (2012-2018) SUV F85 (2013-2018) SUV G05 (2019-2020);
- BMW X6 Series: Crossover E71 (2007-2014) Crossover F16 (2013-2018) Crossover M F86 (2013-2018) Hybrid E72 (2008-2011) SUV G06 (2020-2020);
- BMW X7 Series: SUV G07 (2019-2020);
- BMW Z4 Series: Roadster E89 (2008-2016) Roadster G29 (2019-2020);
- Mini: Clubman F54″ F55 F56 Convertible F57 Countryman F60 Paceman R60 Paceman R61;